Wednesday, February 8

The story of how we met {Part 2}

Read Part 1 HERE.

Gradually I started to have contractions but they were not very painful. It felt like everything was going really slow. Hubby had crashed on the pull out couch so I decided to try and get some sleep too. Around 2:30 am the contractions were painful enough that they woke me up. About that time the nurse came in to check on me and I decided to get an epidural going.

At this point I was so emotional and really struggling with how things were going as opposed to how I thought they should be going. I was hard on myself about the decisions I was making and just broke down for a good cry. Hubby was an amazing support to me and just held me while I let it out.

My OB checked me again and I was just at 4 cm. I really felt deflated after learning that. At least one positive about having the epidural, besides not feeling pain, was that I was able to get a little more sleep. At around 4:30 am the nurse came and woke me up because she wanted to put the baby on an internal heart rate monitor. Because of how I had to lay with the epidural they weren't able to get a consistent reading externally. I really didn't want her to put the monitor on internally but it didn't seem to matter. She tried to do it anyway, but an answer to prayer, she wasn't able to get it to stay on. So she gave up and instead had another nurse help get a better reading externally.

At that point she said I was measuring about 5 cm. I kept thinking that it was going really slowly. Shortly after that I started feeling really short of breath and nauseous. Little did I know that I was having contraction on top of contraction. It was around 4:50 am that I told hubby I was going to be sick and he ran to grab a bucket for me.

As I threw up I immediately felt pressure and pain down below. I knew something was up because I couldn't feel any thing else. We called the nurse and I told her about the pain. She checked me again and said I was fully dilated and it was time to have a baby!

Right after he was born!
My OB was in just a minute or two later. I pushed through one contraction and the next thing I knew I was holding my precious newborn son on my tummy! He cried and cried and cried. More than either of the others. It might sound bad to be happy about that but the thing is I had heard many stories about epidurals and how they effect the baby being alert and I worried intensely about how my decision would effect my little one. But God is good and He is always reminding me that He is bigger and He is greater than all things.

After the nurse weighed and measured him, she gave him back to me and I was able to nurse him. He actively nursed for almost an hour! Another praise that assured me that God is bigger than statistics. He's even bigger than any decision that I could make. Shocking, I know! ; P

Part 3 coming soon!

No comments:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...