Thursday, September 30

Four more weeks... or is it?

I had my 36 week OB appointment today and I'll be back each week from here on out!

I love my ob, she is so laid back and just real. She's young and still pretty new, but you wouldn't even be able to tell, she is so calm and confident but she doesn't treat you like you don't know anything. I feel like we can ask her questions and she doesn't feel like we are attacking her intelligence or anything. She just answers what she can tells us if she doesn't know or if it's not a concern.

I can't really say that about any of the other dr's in the same office. I've seen them all at least once, since any one of them could be the one to deliver me, it just depends who is in the office or on call at the time I'm ready to deliver. I would LOVE it to be my ob, but I know the chances are slim.

I'm ok with that because I know that God is in charge anyways. He has the whole thing under control and I know He will take care of His baby and me no matter how things happen.

With that being said, at my appointment today I had my first cervical check where the dr does a quick internal exam of my cervix to see if I've dilated or progressed yet. At the first check I really was expecting her to say that I was 1, maybe 2 cm** if anything at all! I was thinking I've still got four weeks left so there's a lot of time for all that labor stuff...

If I remember correctly at my first check with Little Lady I was all most at 2 cm and I stayed that way for about 2 weeks. Then I went to 2.5 cm or maybe 3 cm. By my 40 week appointment I was 3.5, almost 4 cm dilated and I went into labor and gave birth 2 days later...

**(10 cm is fully dilated and when you push, in case anyone is wondering what this all means!)

Today when the dr checked me she said I am already "a good 3.5 cm"! I was shocked. All I could do was laugh and ask 'Are you serious?!' I have felt like this pregnancy has been a breeze compared to the first one and even this progress has proven that to be the case.

I may not go in to labor in 2 days, in fact I'm really hoping it's another week AT LEAST {Stud Muffin is hoping for another 3 weeks, bless his heart}. But if I am already 1/3 of the way there and I haven't had a painful contraction, I'll take it!! I'm even hoping for another couple of cm before my next appointment on Thursday!

But in all seriousness, she advised us to be prepared just in case. She said that if I were to go into labor at this point that they wouldn't try to stop it. If the baby were to be born at 36 weeks in most scenarios he or she would be just fine. {37 weeks is full term so I'm not that far off} If anything they would do extra monitoring on the baby and there's a chance they would have to give him or her oxygen. I would rather avoid all that extra stress and wait another week, where the hospital would consider the baby healthy and most likely just fine.

So the plan is for me to take it easy this next week and try to hold off labor if at all possible. I'm really thinking that shouldn't be a problem since I haven't felt much for contractions besides a few Braxton Hicks and they are few and far between.

But I'll take the Dr's orders and just do my best to rest! ; D

No comments:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...